From: Pete Gavin <pete@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] allowing configuration of builds?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 14:42:08
1 Hi,
2
3 I was thinking about a way we could allow configuration information to
4 be passed to the ebuild scripts at build time. This information could be
5 stored in the package database, so that doing "ebuild
6 /var/db/pkg/{whatever}/{whatever}.ebuild remerge" would create the exact
7 same package as before. We could make it so that if you do something
8 like "ebuild {path-to-ebuild-file} query" it will tell you what
9 configuration options are available, then you could set those options on
10 the ebuild command line. That way, say, for example, there are packages
11 that can use gnome, but don't require it, you could do
12
13 ebuild {ebuild-file} merge without-gnome
14
15 or some such to build it w/o gnome support. The ebuild file will check
16 for these options and set the appropriate command line switches to
17 configure. You could even cause these options to apply different
18 patches. Has anyone else thought about this?
19
20 Pete