From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:28:37
1 On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:52:04 +0200, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 21:42, Zeerak Waseem <zeerak.w@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> having to choose a profile, gives less time for the wavering user
5 >
6 > Why all the fuss? No-one said we're removing the plain "desktop"
7 > profile, we're simply adding *more* options.
8 >
9 > If you want generic DE options pre-enabled, choose the desktop profile.
10 > If you *know* you only need KDE as your DE, choose KDE,
11 > If you *know* you only need GNOME as your DE, choose GNOME,
12 > If you need both or can't decide, either choose Desktop and add the
13 > USE flags yourself or use both profiles together.
14 >
15 > Beats enabling default USE flags without asking you :)
16
17 My personal definition of bloat: "to add complexity for no real gain on
18 features". Adding a profile just because it's a cool way to do the same
19 thing that *one* single USE flag can do is a nonsense *to me*.
20
21 I am already hearing all the new (and old) users asking what the damn
22 difference between the flag and the profile is. It's a cool way to create
23 extra traffic and confusion for absolutely no benefit. But hey, maybe it's
24 just that my old brain can't cope with the coolness :)
25 --
26 Jesús Guerrero