From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:04:40
1 On 11.03.2012 04:53, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 >> here is the udev 181 unmasking news item.
4 >>
5 >> If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree on 3/14 UTC.
6 >
7 > I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we
8 > really need to improve the docs around this. As far as I can tell
9 > neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about
10 > how to handle mounting /usr. Since having a separate /usr is often
11 > the result of having a more complex configuration (nfs, lvm, mdraid,
12 > etc), instructions explaining how things work and how to handle
13 > variations is pretty important. Perhaps genkernel automagically does
14 > the right thing in some cases, but I know that dracut does not unless
15 > you properly configure it. I doubt either tool will handle more
16 > complex situations without some scripting.
19 The Display-If-Installed atom shows the news item to stable users once
20 it's committed. I am not sure at what point does Portage show it when
21 the atom is >= so we might want to evaluate the options. In the long
22 term we really should have a new revision that enables something like
23 Display-If-Installed && Display-If-Unmasked.
24
25 Regards,
26 Petteri