From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: make system-sqlite a global USE flag
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:43:15
1 On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 23:04:32 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 10:35:57 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
4 > >> To fix this problem sqlite upstream made a specific change allowing a
5 > >> #pragma to be used to define where secure-delete is required, avoiding
6 > >> the need to use secure-delete *everywhere*.
7 > >
8 > > so what you're saying is that this USE flag can die once people
9 > > fix/update their packages
10 >
11 > What I'm saying is that mozilla team will not do it unless you either:
12 >
13 > (a) You convince/bribe/cluebat upstream (we've tried and failed), or
14 > (b) You write a patch that you promise to maintain forever with quick
17 > Keep in mind that firefox usually only works with a very narrow range
18 > of sqlite versions. If it's too low, it won't compile, or have runtime
19 > failures (when they forget to update the min system-sqlite version).
20 > If it's too high, it'll have strange runtime bugs since firefox relies
21 > too heavily on existing sqlite behaviour[1].
22
23 so getting back to the original question: no, this should not be a global USE
24 flag, and yes, this local flag should die.
25 -mike