From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-nfp] Nominations open for the 2007/08 Trustees
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:16:33
1 Ned Ludd wrote: [Mon Jul 16 2007, 04:00:44PM CDT]
2 > Long term I worry about the foundation. No offense to anybody. I'm sure
3 > I don't know or understand the problems you/we have encountered along
4 > the way. But I think we need to face it 99.9% of our devs are not
5 > suited to run a foundation such as this. That's not a bad thing in any
6 > such way. Most of us came to this project cuz we are geeks doing geeky
7 > things is what we do best..
8 > I'm sure some of you get roped into doing the foundation because
9 > you truly love Gentoo and want to see things be taken care of. However
10 > to be frank. I don't think I've seen a single substantial thing
11 > accomplished sense cshields left Gentoo. Please don't take that the
12 > wrong way. I know we are all busy people. Perhaps you guys have done
13 > shitloads and I/we just don't know about it. Perhaps it's still the same
14 > old story.. We are waiting on ABC banks. We can't re-incorp without
15 > XYZ first.
16
17 Actually, we have a bank, paypal successfully talks to it, and
18 I believe that we're completely caught up w/ all of the various funding
19 requests that we've received. You're point is still a good one,
20 however.
21
22 > Anyway point I'm trying to make here is that I think we might be
23 > better off using a 3rd party as our foundation. IE people who have
24 > the experience/motivation and time to focus on such things
25 > that a foundation should be.
26 >
27 > Anyway. I'd like to nominate nobody in-house.
28
29 Yeah, I tend to agree. Not-so-coincidentally, Gentoo's been invited to
30 join the Software Freedom Conservancy, which would provide just the sort
31 of 3rd-party management that you're suggesting. I put a write-up on my
32 blog detailing what we know so far:
33
34 http://www.grantgoodyear.org/g2blog/gentoo/20070717-sflc.html
35
36 I'm cross-posting to -dev, and suggesting that comments be sent
37 there as well, since most people don't read -nfp.
38
39 If you think this is a good idea, a bad idea, or you just want to know
40 more, now's the time to express your opinion.
41
42 -g2boojum-
43 --
44 Grant Goodyear
45 Gentoo Developer
46 g2boojum@g.o
47 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
48 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76