From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-python] New eclass for Python
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:40:26
1 On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 29/02/12 09:11, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 22:13, Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> If there are no objections then during the weekend (March 3, 4) I will add this
5 >>> to portage (after finishing remaining TODO items, PyPy requires 4G of RAM(!!)).
6 >>
7 >> Can we perhaps just name it python-r2 rather than python-distutils-ng?
8 >> Seems descriptive enough...
9 >
10 > Yes and no - it's named python-distutils because main focus was this
11 > combination, it can work for other cases too, it's just that it combines
12 > functionality from both old eclasses. Besides I like the name, but I can be
13 > convinced to name it python-r2.eclass.
16 The distutils-based packages are a good starting point. The name is a
17 good fit for that.
18
19 Looking forward, I think it might make sense to move some of the
20 functionality to a "core" python eclass that would just be for utility
21 functions -- similar to the python/distutils split we have now. This
22 would be used in ebuilds that are not primarily based around distutils
23 (setup.py).