From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Removing the distinction between UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bugs
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2022 11:34:59
1 On Sat, 2022-12-03 at 11:42 +0100, Florian Schmaus wrote:
2 > On 03/12/2022 08.09, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'd like to propose replacing the current UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED bug
6 > > states with a simple NEW state. Why?
7 > >
8 > > 1. Only a handful of developers actually uses these two statuses
9 > > in a meaningful way.
10 > >
11 > > 2. Some users are confused and demotivated by having their bugs stay
12 > > UNCONFIRMED for a long time.
13 >
14 > While I do not strictly oppose that change, I like the UNCONFIRMED /
15 > CONFIRMED states.
16 >
17 > I don't know how 1. is an argument for removing it. Quite the contrary,
18 > the statement itself says that the feature is used. Furthermore, it is
19 > not my observation that only a handful of developers use it. Most open
20 > bugs are in the CONF state [1], so I would conclude that most use the
21 > feature. Of course, that depends on your definition of "used in a
22 > meaningful way". For me, CONFIRMED was always about someone, usually a
23 > -dev, acknowledging that the bug reports a valid issue that needs to be
24 > addressed (either by Gentoo or upstream). Is that using it in a
25 > meaningful way?
26
27 Does that imply that bugs that are UNCONFIRMED are not worth our effort?
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny