From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] new eselect module: compiler
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 07:14:38
1 On 10-08-2016 08:39:26 +0800, Lei Zhang wrote:
2 > 2016-08-09 13:58 GMT+08:00 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>:
3 > > As a question to Lei, I'm wondering why you chose eselect compiler, and
4 > > not gcc-config to manage the links. In a way, gcc-config is tailored
5 > > towards gcc, but it does a lot of things also for the environment. With
6 > > clang, from my experience, you just want it as drop-in replacement for
7 > > gcc as it doesn't give you too much issues (on Darwin at least).
8 >
9 > In its current form, gcc-config specializes in handling different
10 > versions of gcc. If we extend it to cover other compilers (and rename
11 > it to cc-config as James suggested), should it handle different
12 > versions of clang? What about different versions of icc?
13 >
14 > I'm just afraid gcc-config would become too complex that way, so I
15 > prefer a simpler approach: let eselect-compiler be version-agnostic.
16 > Then we can have clang-config to handle the versioning of clang,
17 > icc-config to handle icc, etc.
18
19 Alright. As Zac pointed out, my gcc-config idea was a bad one. And it
20 wouldn't work very well with icc and many other compilers as well.
21
22 Reason I thought about it, is that I'd like to avoid setting
23 CC/CXX/OBJC/OBJCXX/BUILD_CC/BUILD_CXX and whatnot. Currently,
24 toolchain-funcs' tc-getPROG does some magic to produce TRIPLET-PROG kind
25 of thing, and configure gets the triplet passed by Portage as well. I
26 was hoping for it to find TRIPLET-clang at some point with all the
27 tooling in place without "hard-overriding" CC in make.conf.
28
29 Fabian
33 Fabian Groffen
34 Gentoo on a different level