From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] distributed ebuild processing
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:51:20
1 Ok, gentoo mailserver seems to be up again, I'll try to post :-).
2
3 Here I want to propose an outline of a distributed ebuild processing system.
4 The system is supposed to allow for faster ebuild turnover by introducing
5 everybody interested into the process of ebuild review and testing while
6 keeping additional stress for core group low (may be even offloading some of
7 it off their shoulders). This same system will also allow for multiple
8 stability levels of resultant distribution (from very conservative to
9 "newest stuff included but watch out!") according to user choice.
10
11 Please see my detailed discussion on how this can be done in an efficient and
12 secure manner at:
13 http://www.its.caltech.edu/~georges/gentoo/epsp/proposal.html
14
15 This is a continuation of a previously initiated thread on gentoo-dev
16 "Unstable branch proposal - second round" (3-16), which in turn followed
17 after a week earlier thread "Proposal for an unstable branch" (3-03).
18
19 I do apologise for posting this message into two mailing lists. However I
20 feel that issues discussed here will be of interest for both communities.
21 Besides at this stage I am interested in receiving as much input as possible
22 from both developers and regular users.
23
24 I also have a question to core team. Should this proposal be entered into
25 bugzilla?
26 It did not make sense to do so in the early stages. Now as my view of the
27 matter somewhat stabilised and I got few replies along the same lines I was
28 thinking to wait for a few days (probably until 1.0 is released) evaluating
30 http://bugs.gentoo.org
31
32 George Shapovalov