From: Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-user@××××××××.net>
To: Wilson Brown <welkiner@×××.net>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install Problem
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 04:51:11
1 On Tuesday 01 October 2002 23:11, Wilson Brown wrote:
2 > The problems begin when I reboot.
3 > The first problem I encounter is grub.
4 > Apparently grub cannot find menu.lst (maybe I misread your instruction on
5 > where to create it, but I don't think so) Anyway, I followed your link to
6 > the grub tutorial which said that it included emergency procedures (which I
7 > didn't find) and found mostly instructions for installing grub on an
8 > existing system (which I don't need), however I did find examples for
9 > manually booting to /boot/Image.bz2, and I booted line.
10
11 The manual booting is the emergency procedure.
12 What is important though is that you tell grub where it needs to find the
13 menu.lst file.
14 Remember that grub uses a boot partition in the gentoo setup. Look at the
15 grub manual: man grub
18 > After booting into line, none of the Code listings in "18.Gent-Stats"
19 > work. Apparently I can no longer get online to do an emerge or anything.
20 >
21 > In the Nic listing that I have been able to find, I haven't found any cards
22 > that resemble any of the cards that I have. My current choices are and
23 > ADMTek AN983B which is integrated on the motherboard (MSI MS-6378X-L) and
24 > an OvisLink 8139ATXC. Either of them work fine on the CD boot.
25 >
26 > Under Code listing 28 under "14.Final steps: kernel and system logger,
27 > specifically "make menuconfig"; I am trying to follow your detailed
28 > instructions with great specificity (I'm trying to be very careful), but
29 > perhaps I am missing something or doing something wrong.
30 >
31 > I don't understand why I can get online just fine while booting from the
32 > CD, but I can't get online when booting from the HD. If I can use your
33 > default net drivers to get my dhcp up and running from a CD boot, why can't
34 > I use those same drivers to get dhcp and the net up and running from an HD
35 > boot?....or can I? If so, how do I do it?
36
37 Apparently you didn't include the right drivers for your network card. What
38 you could do is boot from the cd, and then run:
39 dmesg |less
40 It should tell you somewhere that it recognised one/two network cards and that
41 it is loading the drivers. That will tell you which drivers it are. If you
42 loaded the drivers as modules, you just need to remember which modules it
43 are. You can use lsmod to get a list of all currently loaded modules. Most
44 linux drivers work with the particular chipset on the cards, not with the
45 model number assigned by hardware vendors. You can also do a cat /proc/pci to
46 get a list of all pci devices in your computer.
47
48 > I can't move or fix the menu.lst problem because I can't find it. I guess
49 > it is on the /mnt/gentoo/boot directory that has been umounted. Can I
50 > remount this directory to change something in it. If so, how do I do that?
51
52 mount /boot (as root, and not running from the cd)
53
54 Good luck,
55 ps. If you still cannot find the driver for your devices, include the output
56 of cat /proc/pci in the mail.
59 Paul de Vrieze
60 Junior Researcher
61 Mail: pauldv@××××××.nl