From: Herbie Hopkins <herbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:33:34
1 This is something I've thought about too and I agree that this would be
2 a useful feature. One possible application of this feature is to
3 simplify how we handle simd extensions on amd64 (this has been discussed
4 multiple times). Currently we have the USE flags mmx,sse,3dnow masked on
5 amd64 because then enable x86 specific assembly in a lot of packages.
6 Those packages that work on amd64 with the relevent simd extension we
7 hard-enable on amd64. This has several problems:
8
9 1. Users cannot easily disable these features for e.g debugging
10 purposes.
11 2. It's not clear to the user that these extensions are being enabled as
12 emerge -pv shows (-mmx) etc.
13
14 Now if we could simply mask the use flags for the packages where it
15 causes problems and not for the ones that don't we could solve both
16 these issues.
17
18 Herbie.
19