From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:14:29

in general you speak about the council but do you have any concrete
plans/goals you want to achieve?

Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>:
> The dev population is quite a strange beast. I never expected to win.
Nor did I, especially because you were quite low on my ballot. Congratulations.
> The devs have a voice one time of the year: when it comes time to > vote. But what about the rest of the year? What happens when the > person you voted for sucks? You are mostly powerless to do anything > other than be really vocal in what seems like a never ending battle. > That needs to change. I'm not quite sure how. But I'd like to see the > dev body have a year-round voice in the council. Either via quick > votes year-round on topics or simply by having discussion in the > channel. Devs should have a right to voice their concerns to the > council and engage in interactive conversations without being labeled > troll.
We have the forums for quick votes, votify is too much to get a picture of opinions. So use -dev-announce and forums.
> Another one of the things I'd like to see and help reform with the > council. First off it spends way too much time on EAPI/PMS. There is > no reason to make the council an extension of the portage team.
As member of the PMS team I agree, we have to reach out to more people. No matter how well Ciaran does the job as editor-in-chief the process needs to be broadened to involve other groups, too.
> For example prefix comes to mind. It was a project I did not like at > first. I'm not even a user. And there are things I surely don't like > about it as is. But there is community support and it's the icing on > the cake for some. So I'll back the fsck up and give credit where > it's due. This is a perfectly good example of a project/fork that > needs to come back home. Perhaps it's time to cherry pick some more > stuff/people out of Sunrise?
Fully agree here, my devhood is a product of Sunrise.
> desultory points out any two council members can decide to approve > anything, and that decision is considered to be equivalent to a full > council vote until the next meeting. I vaguely recall that rule. I'm > not sure about you, but I think that is a little to much power to put > in the hands of a few. Any dev mind if we dump that power?
Maybe extend that to three, but leave such a emergency measure in place.
> Meetings will likely go back to one time per month and be +m with +v > be handed out per request with open chat pre/post meetings. The > reason for this is to keep the meetings on-track. I won't engage in > endless discussions. Facts can be presented. They will be reviewed on > merit, technical and social.
> The reason the meetings should go back to monthly is to allow those > who are council members in Gentoo to accomplish things other than the > council only. We all have personal lives and we all have our > respective roles we play outside of the council. Another note on > meetings. The time they are held currently don't fit well with my > work schedule.
That you have to discuss with your fellow council members.
> So lets have some damn fun again !@#$
Oh yeah! V-Li -- Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project <URL:>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode <URL:>

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone? Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
[gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone? Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>