From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
Cc: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: A Little Council Reform Anyone?
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:14:29
1 Hi,
2
3 in general you speak about the council but do you have any concrete
4 plans/goals you want to achieve?
5
6 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>:
7 > The dev population is quite a strange beast. I never expected to win.
8
9 Nor did I, especially because you were quite low on my ballot.
10 Congratulations.
11
12 > The devs have a voice one time of the year: when it comes time to
13 > vote. But what about the rest of the year? What happens when the
14 > person you voted for sucks? You are mostly powerless to do anything
15 > other than be really vocal in what seems like a never ending battle.
16 > That needs to change. I'm not quite sure how. But I'd like to see the
17 > dev body have a year-round voice in the council. Either via quick
18 > votes year-round on topics or simply by having discussion in the
19 > channel. Devs should have a right to voice their concerns to the
20 > council and engage in interactive conversations without being labeled
21 > troll.
22
23 We have the forums for quick votes, votify is too much to get a
24 picture of opinions. So use -dev-announce and forums.
25
26 > Another one of the things I'd like to see and help reform with the
27 > council. First off it spends way too much time on EAPI/PMS. There is
28 > no reason to make the council an extension of the portage team.
29
30 As member of the PMS team I agree, we have to reach out to more
31 people. No matter how well Ciaran does the job as editor-in-chief
32 the process needs to be broadened to involve other groups, too.
33
34 > For example prefix comes to mind. It was a project I did not like at
35 > first. I'm not even a user. And there are things I surely don't like
36 > about it as is. But there is community support and it's the icing on
37 > the cake for some. So I'll back the fsck up and give credit where
38 > it's due. This is a perfectly good example of a project/fork that
39 > needs to come back home. Perhaps it's time to cherry pick some more
40 > stuff/people out of Sunrise?
41
42 Fully agree here, my devhood is a product of Sunrise.
43
44 > desultory points out any two council members can decide to approve
45 > anything, and that decision is considered to be equivalent to a full
46 > council vote until the next meeting. I vaguely recall that rule. I'm
47 > not sure about you, but I think that is a little to much power to put
48 > in the hands of a few. Any dev mind if we dump that power?
49
50 Maybe extend that to three, but leave such a emergency measure in
51 place.
52
53 > Meetings will likely go back to one time per month and be +m with +v
54 > be handed out per request with open chat pre/post meetings. The
55 > reason for this is to keep the meetings on-track. I won't engage in
56 > endless discussions. Facts can be presented. They will be reviewed on
57 > merit, technical and social.
58
59 Agree.
60
61 > The reason the meetings should go back to monthly is to allow those
62 > who are council members in Gentoo to accomplish things other than the
63 > council only. We all have personal lives and we all have our
64 > respective roles we play outside of the council. Another note on
65 > meetings. The time they are held currently don't fit well with my
66 > work schedule.
67
68 That you have to discuss with your fellow council members.
69
70 > So lets have some damn fun again !@#$
71
72 Oh yeah!
73
74 V-Li
77 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
78 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
79
80 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>