From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:10:17
1 On 06/06/2010 12:40 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > My base proposal for this is something like this:
3 >
4 > Every package defines the language(s), where it could be installed for multiple slots, e.g.:
5 >
6 > MULTI_SLOT="python" or
7 > MULTI_SLOT="python ruby"
8 >
9 > Additionally, it should define the supported slots, something like this:
10 >
11 > SUPPORTED_RUBY_SLOTS="1.8 1.9" or
12 > SUPPORTED_PYTHON_SLOTS="2.5 2.6 3.0 3.1"
13
14 Don't get me wrong, but isn't that what the python developers guide[1]
15 says? ("python.eclass supports PYTHON_DEPEND helper variable, which
16 allows to specify minimal and maximal version of Python.")
17
18 I thought the whole point of this debate was that nobody cared enough to
19 convert all those ebuilds to use PYTHON_DEPEND properly. The proper fix
20 is to convert ebuilds to the new syntax.