From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-4.4 - call for testers
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 22:29:46
1 On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 23:56:34 +0200
2 Andy Mender <andymenderunix@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I believe the main problem comes from /bin/bash and potential symlinks that
5 > would need to be introduced as part of the slotting.
6
7 In a pinch you could probably get away with
8 calling :1 /usr/bin/bash-4.4 instead of /usr/bin/bash, and then
9 offering no luxuries beyond that, leaving it up to the user to do the rest.
10
11 Then you could test it in ~/ with PATH + Symlink in ~/bin/ ... maybe.
12
13 There would just not be much point, because the real purpose of testing
14 4.4 is not for fear of it breaking user experience ( which is a
15 problem, but not the primary motive ), but for making everything else
16 that runs with bash runs OK.
17
18 Maybe you could do some horrible QA Violation like USE=multislot
19 which changes the slot from :0 and adds the -suffix at the same time.
20
21 But I still don't think its a useful or good idea.