From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [v3] Planning for automatic assignment of bugs
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 23:08:31
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> said:
2 > Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> posted 20080701112956.143dbd22@vrm378-02,
3 > excerpted below, on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:29:56 -0400:
4 >
5 > > Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> Its a good idea, but since our users don't always provide useful
7 > >> reports, it seems like we are just shifting work around.
8 > >
9 > > I'd suggest that this would /spread/ work around - Instead of a few
10 > > folks wrangling bugs, everyone would be doing it.
11 > >
12 > > That said, I have no idea how many duplicate / incomplete bugs I have
13 > > never seen due to the wonderful work of the wranglers. In some ways it
14 > > would be a shame to lose that quality pre-reading of the bugs.
15 >
16 > Perhaps the best solution is to get the implementation in place, but not
17 > completely automate it. Put the tools there so if it looks right, all
18 > the wrangler needs to do is a single click, and it's auto-assigned, but
19 > that single click is still necessary so that a human actually gets to
20 > review things before doing the assignment.
21 >
22 > That would make it /much/ easier for the wranglers.
23 >
24 > If desired, a cron script or some such could then be setup to go thru and
25 > automatically assign anything that wasn't assigned yet and that hadn't
26 > been touched (no comments asking for more info, etc) for some period, say
27 > a week, just to catch anything that fell thru the cracks or if the
28 > wranglers all disappeared or went on strike/vacation/whatever. Then if
29 > folks ever suddenly find themselves inundated with "raw" bugs, it'd be a
30 > serious indication that the wranglers needed some help.
31
32 I like this idea. It would address my concerns.
35 Mark Loeser
36 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
37 email - mark AT halcy0n DOT com
38 web - http://www.halcy0n.com