From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cmake-utils.eclass: set default of CMAKE_VERBOSE=1
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 21:45:53
1 Am Samstag 05 Mai 2012, 20:54:09 schrieb Andreas K. Huettel:
2 > Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012, 18:30:10 schrieb hasufell:
3 > > # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
5 > > # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation.
6 > >
7 > > By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in
8 > > pastes having minimum information.
9 > > I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so
10 > > that I have proper information on what is going on.
11 > >
12 > > Are there any arguments against this being default?
13 >
14 > I think the resistance against this more has to do with the output being
15 > more esthetically pleasing (yes I know this is not really a good point for
16 > us, but in general the cmake output is quite nice) than with "writing to
17 > stdout is expensive" (which was a joke in the previous thread).
18 >
19 > That being said, it probably makes sense to change the default to =1, as it
20 > definitely helps debugging to see the build commands.
23 I've taken the liberty to change the default in the kde overlay. We'll likely
24 move this to the main tree with other changes after some testing. Semantics
25 needed to change a bit; the description now reads:
26
27 # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
29 # Set to OFF to disable verbose messages during compilation
30 : ${CMAKE_VERBOSE:=ON}
36 Andreas K. Huettel
37 Gentoo Linux developer
38 dilfridge@g.o