From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Codec project
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 04:04:10
1 On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 08:25:20PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Let's split this from [1] as I suppose having it in middle of high-noise
5 > 'up for grabs' might prevent some interested people from seeing it.
6 >
7 > The general purpose of codec project [2] is to maintain core libraries
8 > for various multimedia format encoder/decoder libraries. It's like
9 > gfx+sound+video except only for core packages and not every possible
10 > single viewer, player, editor, frontend... I believe that this specific
11 > focus make more sense than the wider projects, i.e. it is more likely
12 > than N people will actually co-maintain libraries used by many tools vs
13 > N people co-maintain 20 alternative sound players (when they are
14 > unlikely to use more than one at a time).
15 >
16 > The main questions are:
17 >
18 > 1. Should the project be focused on reference/most common
19 > implementations, or maybe more of them? Say, giflib vs libnsgif.
20 > I think the latter library is specific to a few programs right now but
21 > if it gets more popular, it would fit.
24 I am not really sure that we *need* a project. I have seen many devs
25 takeover several packages... of those individuals, they are active and I
26 don't believe they would complain if others touched former @graphics
27 packages.
28
29 > 3. What about libraries implementing media-specific streaming protocols?
30
31 As stated above, I am not sure we need a project to maintain these. Of
32 course, it *would* be nice. Attempting to define something out of such
33 disparity seems frivolous, but I understand the intention.
34
35 Additionally, I am not advocating for the disbandment of all projects,
36 but simply those that lack impact. It was more an effort to show that
37 *most* individuals in said project were slacking, but would complain
38 when others attempted to assist.
41 Cheers,
42 Aaron