From: Brandon Low <lostlogic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sorry, I Quit
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:20:48
1 I would be very interested in more detailed descriptions of the problems
2 that you encountered, I personally have my gentoo system installed with
3 over 750 packages (and I know others with over 800) and the only package
4 that I wish to use but which fails to merge correctly is openoffice (which
5 fails due to gcc issues not glibc issues, and is totally beyond our
6 control at the moment), it is important to note that we also have an
7 openoffice-bin package which installs from a binary package and therefore
8 should merge with no problems on most any gentoo linux system.
9
10 While you were having these problems, did you submit bugs to our bugzilla?
11 If the problems you were experienceing were truly errors in our system,
12 you would find that they generally get fixed within a day or two, if not
13 within a few hours (depends on the nature and complexity of the bug), did
14 you attempt to contact us during your problems? Many of the developers of
15 Gentoo are readily available on irc.openprojects.net #gentoo (along with
16 hundreds of users willing to help with problems, some will help with a
17 problem for hours until it is solved, as they did for me when I first
18 installed Gentoo months ago).
19
20 Again, I would be very interested in a complete listing of the packages
21 you experienced failures with, and if possible any logs of said failures,
22 as that would be truly helpful in improving gentoo for everyone. However
23 an e-mail of this sort is completely unhelpful and rather offensive.
24
25 Sincerely,
26
27 Brandon Low