From: Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation (was: Project Sunrise resumed)
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:28:33
1 On Monday 31 July 2006 04:52, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 July 2006 22:28, Dan Meltzer wrote:
3 > > 1) Users can submit patches/ideas to bugs.g.o at whatever frequency
4 > > they desire, contributing to gentoo casually.
5 >
6 > load up your browser and check out how many bugs are assigned
7 > to 'maintainer-wanted@g.o'
8
9 This isn't the problem. We'll never can maintain all this stuff - given the
10 number of people we're. We need more devs - just to clean up the current tree
11 and maintain it properly at it's current size one- or two hundred (having
12 fluctuation in mind) more guys wouldn't harm. The problem is more that we
13 have devs who constantly add (arbitrary) stuff to the tree, instead cleaning
14 out and caring for unmaintained stuff, before adding something new.
15
16 > opening a bug, putting together an ebuild/patches/etc..., and then watching
17 > it sit there and bitrot for weeks, months, and in the extreme case years
18 > certainly is anything but encouraging
19 >
20 > especially considering that by the time a developer gets an interest in the
21 > posted ebuild, the ebuild/patches/etc... are now bitrotted and need just as
22 > much work to get them up and working with the latest release
23
24 This is still a community distro. That means we need people who want to become
25 become devs to maintain more. That simple. Surise won't help in this regard.
26 It's just an extended repository for lazy people, who don't care for security
27 with the side effect of increased bug spam.
28
29 > plus the timeframe from saying "hey i'd like to develop" to actually
30 > getting your own commit access is heftier than many would like to undertake
31 > ...
32
33 Is it? I got new devs on board within a few weeks. It could always be better,
34 but I think that's reasonable. Do you have numbers? Has devrel a statistic?
35 In my experience it's more that a lot of people moan, but don't want to
36 become active.
39 Carsten