From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 14:30:48
1 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > This slightly more hardware support is almost always what new boxen need. Of course people can
3 > install Gentoo from another more up to date other distro, but wouldn't it be better if that were
4 > optional and not mandatory? That if people have new hardware which is not supported by their own
5 > distro, that they can pop in the latest gentoo cd and know that if there is any distro whose
6 > install cd supports their hardware, that gentoo will too?
7
8 Sure it would be nice, but this has its price too, namely a lot more
9 time spent on bringing releases out.
10
11 > There would also be many more chances to fix things, since these images would be relatiely short
12 > lived. Since each image would be more similar than the previous one than our current 6 months apart
13 > releases are to eachother, testing could be spread out more. And our users would get more chances
14
15 Uhm, just because you release more often, that doesn't mean you need
16 less testing to get the same level of quality.
17
18 That being said, I think this is really up to the releng team and noone
19 else. They are doing the work, so we can discuss it far and wide, as
20 long as releng doesn't want to do it, nothing will happen. So maybe we
21 should wait for a statement from Chris before doing anything else.
24 Kind Regards,
25
26 Simon Stelling
27 Gentoo/AMD64 developer