From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:16:31
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Tuesday 03 February 2004 14:41, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 >
6 > 'stable' is meant to indicate that the tree is a stable one. Not that
7 > the ebuilds within them are more stable. However, down the road, I
8 > would hope/expect that our nascent QA efforts would expand and offer
9 > additional QA around these ebuilds as well. That's outside the scope
10 > of this GLEP, however.
11
12 Why not call it fixed instead of stable. I know what you mean, but it
13 might not be clear to everyone.
16 > As for your question on transition, for 95% of all stable ebuilds, the
17 > path should be:
18 >
19 > ~arch --> arch --> stable:arch
20 >
21 > ~stable is there primarily for off-cycle updates. If we need to issue
22 > a GLSA and updated ebuild with very little testing, it would be
23 > included in the stable tree marked as ~stable:arch. Then, after
24 > 'adequate' testing, it would be moved to stable:arch
25 >
26 > I didn't explicitly state this in the GLEP because I don't want to
27 > have this be the only thing it can be used for. Depending on how
28 > people start using this tree, we may look to expand to use it for
29 > other purposes.
30
31 I think that the whole update issue needs to be rethought. Will that be
32 done by fixed-tree maintainers (in cooperation with package
33 maintainers), or do package maintainers need to do it themselves.
34
35 I think that in the end the updates need to go through a fixed-tree
36 maintainer in some way.
37
38 > I understand the uncertainty, but at the same time, I want to have
39 > some uncertainty built into the GLEP. Right now, there is a
40 > demonstrable need for enterprise users to have a more stable tree than
41 > we currently offer. That is the primary purpose of creating a separate
42 > tree.
43 >
44 > However, it is entirely possible that we will extend and expand this
45 > tree to be used in other ways. I don't want this GLEP to say "this is
46 > the only way this tree may be used" because I'd like to leave some
47 > room in it to grow and expand depending on the needs of our users.
48
49 I think the GLEP is even "vague" enough to allow some implementation
50 leeway. The main point is to implement this is an efficient but working
51 way. I think that most people like the idea, the implemtation is
52 important though.
53
54 Paul
55