From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74: Full-tree verification using Manifest files
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:49:31
1 >>>>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 >> > The Manifest files can also specify ``IGNORE`` entries to skip
4 >> > Manifest verification of subdirectories and/or files. Files and
5 >> > directories starting with a dot are always implicitly ignored.
6 >> > All files that are not ignored must be covered by at least one
7 >> > of the Manifests.
8 >>
9 >> Do we need to keep that implicit ignore rule? Rather, convert it
10 >> to being always explicit.
11 >>
12 >> There is only one such file in the rsync checkout presently:
13 >> metadata/.checksum-test-marker (see bug #572168, it is used to
14 >> detect mis-configured mirrors).
15 >>
16 >> A SVN or Git repo might also have dot-named directories.
17
18 > I like the implicit idea better as it is more consistent with normal
19 > tool behavior, like 'ls' not listing the files. Dotfiles can be
20 > created by many random tools or even the filesystem (especially in
21 > some cases of overlay filesystems).
22
23 Other tools like "find" don't special-case dot-prefixed files though
24 (in fact, "ls" may well be the exception there).
25
26 Implicit ignores only create an unnecessary attack surface. Better
27 make them explicit, even if this will require adding some entries for
28 common cases (like .git in the top-level dir).
29
30 Ulrich