From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild Janitor Project
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:14:39
begin  quote
On 11 May 2003 23:33:20 +0200
foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:

> Anyway, what defines an ebuild as working (this is a > problem in general) : does it build, does it build on a clean install > with any possible combination of USE flags, does it run fine for 1 > month on someones production server ? >
Heads up those of you who go playing with stable (ie KEYWORDS="x86" ) packages. Always make sure to run through all packages that -depend- on it as well.. . Its a headache, but you'll need to check that the newly introduced USE flag you just slapped on because that gnome, guile, esound, jpeg, png, support is really just optional... Yes? It might not be so. if a package Foo, depends on bar being built with suopport for baz, making baz an optional thing is a no-no. And even if portage gets a way to track optional dependencies (foo depends on bar with baz ) you'd still have to find all those builds. No, thats not what testing is for, testing is not your bed to find the dependencies you broke. Thats what you are supposed to do. Just a minor rant from somone who has seen a lot of people request some USE flags without researching. //Spider -- begin .signature This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature! See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end