From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: enabling ipc-sandbox & network-sandbox by default
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 14:43:41
1 On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:12 AM, Thomas D. <whissi@××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Ryan Hill wrote:
6 > > Probably best to make FEATURES=distcc disable network-sandbox
7 > > then. People enabling it are explicitly saying they want to access
8 > > the network.
9 >
10 > Do you really think it is a good behavior to automatically disable
11 > something you can call a "security feature"? At least there should be a
12 > warning, not?
15 I think you are reading much further into Ryan's statement than he intended.
19 > Think about situations where the user just know "network-sandbox is
20 > important, because it will protect my system from unwanted
21 > modifications" (the thing where the test suite for example will write to
22 > the local, productive, database server...) and therefore explicitly
23 > enable that feature by hand.
24 >
25 > But the user is *also* using distcc to speed up the compilation/update
26 > time in his/her network.
27 >
28 > The user maybe knows that distcc is using network, but he/she might be
29 > surprised that it won't work together with the network-sandbox feature.
30 > If we now silently disable network-sandbox because the user also set
31 > distcc he/she might be even more surprised when he/she noticed that
32 > his/her local productive database system was accessed by emerge though
33 > he/she enabled network-sandbox feature to prevent this (but which was
34 > automatically disabled without a warning).
35 >
36 > Because it is security relevant and the impact could be a real problem I
37 > won't even show just a warning the user could miss. If network-sandbox
38 > *and* distcc are both set, emerge should fail complaining about the
39 > problem.
40 > This is something the user should be aware of and must be solved by hand.
41 >
42 > So if we decide to enable the network-sandbox feature by default (which
43 > we should do), users also using distcc must take action.
44 >
45 > And if in future we will solve the problem so that both features can be
46 > used together, we should send out a news item for people using the
47 > distcc feature telling them "Now you can re-enable (the default)
48 > network-sandbox feature"...
51 > -Thomas