From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multi-backend support for ssl/tls in curl
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:58:23
1 On 18-04-23 17:00:45, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:47:27 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > W dniu pon, 23.04.2018 o godzinie 02∶57 -0500, użytkownik Gordon
6 > > Pettey napisał:
7 > > > On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 1:26 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
8 > > > wrote:
9 > > > > W dniu nie, 22.04.2018 o godzinie 09∶34 -0500, użytkownik Matthew
10 > > > > Thode napisał:
11 > > > > > The short of it is that curl supports having multiple
12 > > > > > backends. I'd like to have that feature enabled so libraries
13 > > > > > and userland can choose the backend they wish to use.
14 > > > > >
15 > > > > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/653076 has the specifics, but I cannot
16 > > > > > see a reason why we are artifically limiting the backed to just
17 > > > > > one.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > How would you solve the problem of packages requiring specific SSL
20 > > > > backend? Currently they enforce it via USE dependency on cURL.
21 > > >
22 > > > Perhaps with exactly the same USE dependencies that already exists,
23 > > > just without the at-most-one limitation on curl itself?
24 > >
25 > > This doesn't guarantee that the required backend will actually be
26 > > used. Well, unless it blocks any other USE flag from being enabled
27 > > but that defeats the purpose.
28 >
29 > Proprietary software that's linked against a specific backend usually
30 > links to libcurl-gnutls.so.4 or whatever specifically as that's what
31 > Debian provides. If it points to just libcurl.so.4 but only works
32 > against a specific backend then we could use chrpath to change it to
33 > the specific name.
36 The way that curl installs it's libs for multi-backend (I'm currently
37 using the proposed patch) is to still just install a single library. To
38 get something like debian does with libcurl-gnutls we'd need to do
39 separate builds.
42 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)