From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:12:24
Hello all,

[Speaking as user] I find myself many times stumbling through package
ChangeLogs to see what is new/changed after a emerge -u world. As some
of you might agree, this is time consuming.

What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would
instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the
package? Most of packages have a somewhat standard place for it in the
source tree, so I guess a default pkg_changelog function could, in
theory, be implemented.

This function could be then called at user request by means of e.g.
emerge --showchangelog <atom> or at the end of emerge update (controlled
through a FEATURES="show-changelog" or something).

I know we are all busy with a lot of things and I know what Gentoo don't
really need right now is more cruft in the ebuilds (just think on QA!).

Angelo Arrifano AKA MiKNiX
Gentoo Embedded/OMAP850 Developer
Linwizard Developer