From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New license: Adaptec
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:17:53
1 >>>>> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013, Tiziano Müller wrote:
2
3 > I would like to add arcconf (binary to manage aacraid-based
4 > controllers) to the tree, which is protected by a mandatory
5 > clickthrough witch the attached text.
6
7 > The license would be named "Adaptec" and added to the NON-FREE
8 > license group.
9
10 The license contains nasty clauses like this:
11 "If you are a European Consumer you must not export Software outside
12 the country in which you download it without our prior written
13 permission."
14
15 I.e., if you install the software on your computer, you're not allowed
16 to travel with it. Not sure if this would be enforceable for travel
17 within the EU, but nevertheless, I suggest that you add the license to
18 the @EULA group. And the ebuild needs mirror restriction, at least.
19
20 "Adaptec" was previously used for a different license:
21 http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/Adaptec?view=markup
22 So better choose another name to avoid confusion.
23
24 Ulrich