From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tone in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:37:16
1 On 06/16/2010 08:43 AM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 05:33:27 +0200
3 > Sebastian Pipping<sping@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Tone is currently not a strength of Gentoo.
6 >>
7 >> As I have heard there are people not joining Gentoo because the
8 >> atmosphere in Gentoo is lacking respect and empathy.
9 >
10 > That's a conclusion first, then a premise?
11 >
12 >> I have searched a few places for rules on tone, looking at the Gentoo
13 >> Social Contract [1], the Code of Conduct [2] and the Philosophy of
14 >> Gentoo [3]. In a way the Code of Conduct defines what good and bad
15 >> behavior is. The term "Acceptable behaviour" may make sense as a
16 >> counterpart to "Unacceptable behaviour" but feels like "what you can
17 >> get away with" to me anyhow.
18 >
19 >> - How come tone is so rough when we actually meant to be
20 >> a friendly community? Has it always been that way?
21 >
22 > What are you referring to? forums.g.o? bugs.g.o? #gentoo? Who, where,
23 > when, what channel, thread?
24 >
25 >> - With these Code of Conduct rules in place how come DevRel
26 >> is not publicly reminding of these rules where necessary?
27 >
28 > When did you point this out to devrel?
29 > [... snip ...]
30
31 Those replies are a good example of the rude behavior the poster is
32 referring to. The replies consisted of sarcastic questions in "you're
33 an idiot" style. The only thing they do is trying to trigger a hostile
34 response from the poster.
35
36 Very good example of tone in Gentoo.