From: Matthias Langer <mlangc@×××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 09:56:49
1 > > not having it tested.
2 > That all depends. If having it tested means that it _will_ work, I'd be
3 > infavour of that.
4
5 Well, the problem is, that a working test suite does not guarantee a
6 working program, as well as a failing test suite doesn't necessarily
7 mean that the program is broken. This doesn't mean that test suites
8 aren't useful (i tend to write lot's of unit tests when I'm programming
9 myself), but I would say that they are targeted at developers, both up-
10 and downstream, not at end users.
11
12 Thus, considering all arguments i've seen so far, i would highly
13 appreciate it, if various src_test functions in the tree see some love,
14 maybe encouraged due a changed policy, but i don't think that package
15 managers should enable test suites by default. If you want some test
16 action, try sys-devel/autoconf with tests activated with the package
17 manager of your choice ;-)
18
19 Matthias
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list