From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [rfc] New global USE flag: rbd
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 08:36:45
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:25:29 +0000 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
4 > On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 10:45:26AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 > > 8 packages are using either rbd or rados USE flag for Rados
6 > > Block Device support:
7 > RBD != RADOS.
8
9 Thanks for pointing this out.
10
11 > RBD is the block-device-mapper on top of Ceph/RADOS.
12 >
13 > There are other pieces to put on top of Ceph, such as CephFS & RADOSGW
14 > (S3/Swift access to RADOS)
15 >
16 > That said, I think at the growth of Ceph, we will have usage for both of
17 > the USE flags.
18
19 Then how about the following list for rbd:
20
21 app-emulation/ganeti:rbd - Enable rados block device support via sys-cluster/ceph
22 app-emulation/libvirt:rbd - Enable rados block device support via sys-cluster/ceph
23 app-emulation/qemu:rbd - Enable rados block device backend support, see http://ceph.newdream.net/wiki/QEMU-RBD
24 net-libs/xrootd:rbd - Enable rados block device support via sys-cluster/ceph
25 sys-block/fio:rbd - Enable Rados block device support via sys-cluster/ceph
26 sys-block/tgt:rbd - Add support for ceph block devices
27
28 Also it seems that USE=rados is also invalid, because according to
29 Ceph architecture [1] librados != rados and what these packages use
30 is really librados:
31
32 app-backup/bareos:rados - Enable rados storage backend
33 net-analyzer/rrdtool:rados - Enable support for librados from sys-cluster/ceph
34
35 So I propose to rename these USE flags to librados to be consistent.
36
37 [1] http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/architecture/
38 Looks like docs.ceph.com is down right now, so here is another copy:
39 http://www.virtualtothecore.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ceph-architecture-1.png
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko