From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:44:02
1 On Mon, 2004-02-16, 22:17:43 -0500, in
2 <1076987863.15233.27.camel@localhost>, Donnie Berkholz
3 <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > We won't be adding versions of XFree86 with the 1.1 license [1] to the
5 > tree, so don't be surprised when 4.3.99.903 doesn't show up with the new
6 > license.
7 >
8 > I won't elaborate on the reasons because it's been discussed quite
9 > thoroughly in other forums [2-8].
10 >
11 > We are seeking solutions/alternatives for this issue, so you can sit
12 > back, relax and let us do the dirty work.
13
14 This idea is bound to get a few extreme reactions. Those who insist on
15 reacting extremely may email me privately.
16
17 Also, I am thinking abstractly at the moment. This is unlikely
18 to present an immediate solution, but will certainly provide some
19 thought-fodder. When you play chess, do you try to see the board from
20 different angles?
21
22 The problem is that the XFree license and the GPL are now
23 incompatible. For smooth progression of overall Linux development, one
24 of these licenses must now change. This does not necessarily imply that
25 the one which changed most recently needs to change back. So much focus
26 has been applied to the "offending" portion of the new XFree license;
27 perhaps we should lend the same critical eye to our beloved GPL. One
28 possible analogy for the situation is that the XFree license demonstrated
29 a bug in the GPL.
30
31 Of course, attribution is not always practical. Imagine documentation
32 for the kernel with complete attribution. While it would have shortened
33 this whole SCO business, an exhaustive list of contributors might now
34 be larger that the actual sources. Mandatory attribution requirements
35 in the GPL would be a Bad Thing(tm).
36
37 Attribution is a fairly reasonable request for Open Source / Free
38 Software licensing. The authors just want a little recognition for their
39 efforts. Prohibited attribution requirements is also a Bad Thing(tm).
40
41 One solution to the issue would be inclusion in the GPL of one or
42 more optional clauses. Much in the same way that "front cover" and
43 "back cover" texts may be included in a GPLed package, one could use a
44 "GPL+attribution" license. Such a license would be compatible with the
45 new XFree license.
48 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
49 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
50 --Ghost in the Shell