From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [rfc] drop iputils from @system (i.e. ping)
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 08:26:29
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:39:55 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > iputils is currently in @system for everyone. by default, it only
4 > installs `ping`. do we feel strongly enough about this to require all
5 > systems include it ? or should this wait for the long idea of releasing
6 > stage4's instead of stage3's ?
7 > -mike
8
9 Talking about iputils...
10
11 What recently changed that previously pulled in iputils as a depend (of
12 what type I'm not sure)?
13
14 As I've occasionally posted, I negate every @system entry in
15 /etc/portage/profile/packages, effectively giving me an empty @system set
16 (which depclean warns about, the way I know that the cascaded @system
17 list hasn't been updated, forcing me to update my negations).
18
19 But until a week or so ago, something was apparently still pulling iputils
20 in as a dependency, as it wasn't in any of my sets included in
21 world_sets, yet was still not depcleaned. A week or so ago that changed,
22 and depclean wanted to remove it, but I decided it was useful enough that
23 I wanted to keep it, so added it to the appropriate set that's included
24 in my world_sets file, so depclean no longer wants to remove it.
25
26 But I still don't know what was previously pulling in iputils as a dep,
27 that no longer does so now.
28
29 IOW, at least for me, the whole subject of the thread wouldn't have
30 mattered until very recently, since something else was evidently pulling
31 in iputils as a dep. Only now that it's no longer doing so, does normal
32 iputils listing in @system, that I've actually negated here along with
33 the rest of @system listings, actually come into play.
34
35 So what was that dep, and what are the circumstances surrounding its
36 removal as a dep? I'm curious as to what triggered the whole change in
37 status in the first place.
38
39 (Tho obviously I wasn't curious enough to go scrounging thru the git logs
40 and updated packages between that update and the previous one, to find
41 out what it was that way. But now that it has come up here, I thought
42 I'd ask, as there's obviously some backstory that could prove interesting
43 to the discussion, that people with intact @systems probably would have
44 never noticed.)
49 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman