From: yac <yac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: TLDR: rant in support of overlays (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Over-reliance of Gentoo projects on overlays)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 10:15:39
1 On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:31:57 -0700
2 Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us> wrote:
3
4 > Anyhow, isn't the gentoo-x86 tree already plenty big enough, without
5 > every single overlay's ebuilds and eclasses in there too? Personally,
6 > I'm inclined to wish it was smaller, even if that meant more stuff was
7 > pushed into overlays
8
9 Actually, this is something I expected to happen soon after we got
10 overlays but for some reason it haven't. I imagine we would
11 not have a single gx86 official tree but rather a bunch of official
12 overlays. For basic installation one would need just the system
13 overlay. Then everypony could add official overlay for KDE, or gnome or
14 whatnot as one desires.
15
16 I haven't thought this through in any way but it feels like better
17 design.