From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:14:47
1 On 25 May 2012 03:02, Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 24 May 2012 16:40:02 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> d) Talk with github folks to add our repo as 'mirror'.
6 >
7 > Can we keep the master on Gentoo hardware please.
8
9 Definitely. But having a mirror on github will increase forkability,
10 and will make it much faster for people to get started on
11 contribution.
12
13 When the user has their tree up to how they want it, they can either
14 send a pull request to another gentoo dev who also has a fork on
15 github, or send a link to the commit via some medium ( bug tracker ? )
16 , and some dev can just add that as a remote, and merge/cherry-pick
17 the commits they want..
18
19 In my books, github is mostly a marketing and ease of access platform
20 that streamlines the ability for people to get started contributing
21 and facilitate easy distribution of changes back to upstream.
22
23 But this is mostly side topic.
24
25 CLEAN CUT++
26
27 If there are problems with it, we can address those when we know what
28 they are, not when we're inventing problems that might not actually
29 exist due to conjecture.
30
31 I haven't encountered any "real" problems yet in size or performance
32 constraints with perl-experimental . Sure, its not portage, its only
33 ~800 packages vs portages 15000 , but it should be a somewhat
34 reasonable synthetic workload.
35
36 Side note: I assume, that there is, a way, if you *really* need it, to
37 copy all the new git commits back to the cvs tree if something
38 critically broken in git turns up so bad it has to be dropped. I think
39 it unlikely, but knowing there is a way to "go back" would give much
40 reassurance.
43 Kent
44
45 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,