From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] moving svgalib-1.9.x to stable
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:56:22
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:10:24 -0500
3 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > i went through bugzilla and fixed/closed out all the svgalib bugs for
6 > 1.4.x and 1.9.x (except for #35348 and #37812 ... but these are not
7 > really svgalib show stoppers as far as i'm concerned) ...
8 >
9 > i then went and looked at all the packages that DEPEND on svgalib,
10 > either optionally or required and built them against 1.9.x ...
11 > i found only dev-lang/blassic failed to build and it doesnt need
12 > svgalib to compile so we can disable that until it's fixed upstream.
13 > there were 3 packages i was unable to verify 100% (app-i18n/jmcce,
14 > games-emulation/generator, net-im/ohphone) but that was because they
15 > hate gcc-3.x ... i made sure the svga parts of them compiled, and they
16 > did ;)
17 >
18 > so, anyone have any last thoughts/issues/etc... before i move
19 > svgalib-1.9.17-r3 to stable ? i'm finding that more packages
20 > (media/games) need svgalib-1.9.x and dont support the old 1.4.x
21 > anymore and it would be nice if i could move them into stable without
22 > having to cry over svgalib-mike
25 Yes, Will you break already installed things like the careless
26 openmotif downgrade?
27
28 The problems it caused was that it explicitly broke emacs and other
29 things on users installed systems, by removing binary functionality when
30 the openmotif downgrade went through.
31
32 There currently exists no real framework for dealing with this, other
33 than to bump all software that depends on the library in question with a
34 revision to force a recompile to make it work again post-install.
35
36 Its unpretty, massive and bad.. i think we need to fix this, soon.
37 portage-ng seems another year into the future with all the
38 requirements, so I'm not sure its the right thing to put it off for.
39
40 //Spider
45 begin .signature
46 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
48 end