From: John Myers <electronerd@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing performance
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:42:10
1 On Thursday 15 December 2005 04:48, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I was wondering if there are any sane ways to optimize the performance
5 > of a Gentoo system.
6 > Overoptimization (the well known "-O9 -fomgomg" CFLAGS etc.) tends to
7 > make things unstable, which is of course not what we want. The "easy"
8 > way out would be buying faster hardware, but that is usually not an
9 > option ;-)
10 >
11 > So ... what can be done to get the stable maximum out of your hardware?
12 This should be obvious, but don't USE=debug globally. Last time I did that, it
13 made my Athlon64 3400+ with 1G of RAM feel like the 300MHz PII with 192M of
14 RAM I have.
15 --
16 #
17 # electronerd, the electronerdian from electronerdia
18 #