From: Tim Boudreau <niftiness@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] parser/generator for /etc/conf.d/net*
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 01:58:49
1 On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 3:46 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP <
2 cjac@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I've got a project on my plate to automate and reduce the human error in
5 > adding new VLANs, subnets, addresses, etc. to our production firewall
6 > fleet. Today, we manually make modifications to the following on both
7 > members of the VRRP pair:
10 It sounds like the default init script isn't great for you.
11
12 Rather than write a generator for a static configuration file that is
13 consumed by a script, would it make more sense to modify the /etc/init.d
14 script to compute whatever you need on the fly? I would think that would
15 make deployment more flexible and (depending on what you're trying to do)
16 perhaps eliminate the need for a manual configuration step.
17
18 I did that once for a Gentoo VM that needed to figure out a working network
19 configuration under a variety of hypervisors (the thing being distributed
20 to customers was the VM, and final setup was web-based, so it had to work
21 no matter what).
22
23 -Tim