From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x32 fun pants
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:53:40
1 On Friday, September 16, 2011 09:36:32 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > understanding is that it probably makes sense to switch to x32 no matter
3 > what you're using now (x86 or amd64).
4
5 x32 needs a 64bit processor, so x86 cant go away as it's the only ABI that can
6 run on 32bit processors
7
8 but for 64bit processors, it seems like x32 would be more common than x86_64.
9 x32 comes with a 4GiB address space (since its pointers are 32bit), so there
10 will always be a niche that wants the larger space that 64bit brings you.
11
12 so long term, i wouldnt be surprised if we move to:
13 MULTILIBS="x86 amd64 x32"
14 DEFAULT_ABI="x32"
15 or when multilib-portage lands, we default to just x32 (except glibc/gcc which
16 has them all) and pull in the other two when people ask explicitly.
17 -mike