From: "Peter Volkov (pva)" <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: tcsh vs. csh, removal of the latter
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:08:14
1 On Срд, 2006-01-25 at 20:57 +0100, Grobian wrote:
2 > Are there any objections to removing csh from the tree? If there are no
3 > problems with csh removal before Feb 1st 2006, then I will starting from
4 > that date work on getting csh removed by masking it, blocking tcsh and
5 > csh, and request for updates of the packages that depend on csh.
6
7 Thinking a little bit on subject I'd say I object. There is a big
8 difference in size between csh and tcsh:
9 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 130148 Янв 28 08:11 /bin/csh
10 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 299136 Янв 28 08:13 /bin/tcsh
11 So tcsh is *2.3 times bigger* then csh. Of course, that's not a big pain
12 for current desktop or server systems. But gentoo is used for different
13 purposes... Also personally I like small system and I'm not using csh
14 for anything except for installing packages. So I do not need anything
15 except basic csh functionality. Thus for me it's better to leave csh and
16 remove tcsh (I know this is bad solution ;) ).
17
18 > Problem here is that creating a conditional symlink for csh -> tcsh is a
19 > bit dirty, and leaves the user with a system that has no csh in case the
20 > csh is unmerged after tcsh was installed.
21
22 To solve symlink problem I can suggest the following.
23 1. As it should be done now, tcsh should create symlink csh -> tcsh if
24 csh does not exist (in src_install()).
25
26 2. csh ebuild should create csh -> tcsh symlink if tcsh exist during
27 unmerge. This is possible with pkg_postrm:
28 pkg_postrm () {
29 [ -e /bin/tcsh ] && ln -s /bin/tcsh /bin/csh
30 }
31
32 3. tcsh should remove csh -> tcsh symlink on unmerge.
33 pkg_postrm () {
34 [ -e /bin/tcsh ] && ln -s /bin/tcsh /bin/csh
35 }
36
37 Not a very clean solution, but works.
38
39 BTW. Why tcsh is a blocker for csh?
40
41 Peter.