From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions on overlays, repositories and PMS
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 03:27:20
1 On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 18:36:07 +0100
2 Michael Lienhardt <michael.lienhardt@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > I started refactoring my solver to make it more modular, to fix some
5 > details w.r.t. the PMS and to manage different repositories. I thus
6 > have several questions on how multiple repositories work in portage.
7 >
8 > 1. My understanding was that /etc/portage/repos.conf replaced the
9 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable, however this variable is still documented
10 > (e.g. in
11 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/overlay/index.html).
12 > Was my intuition right? Or in other word, it is enough to only look
13 > at /etc/portage/repos.conf? In general, an overlay is a repository,
14 > i.e., a valid tree layout for the PMS, right (as stated in
15 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/overlay/index.html)?
18 Yes, you should not have to look at the old make.conf variables, yes,
19 they do work, but mostly for backward compatibility with some old third
20 party tools. Those really need to be updated. I forget now how many
21 there are, but if I remember correctly only 2 or 3 are left. And yes,
22 we have been slow to get them updated or replaced.
25 > 2. the PMS states that any valid repository has a profiles folder
26 > which can contain profiles and a package.mask file.
27 > - can the profiles in a repository different from DEFAULT be
28 > selected?
29 > - is the package.mask file apply only on the packages of that
30 > repository, or on every packages of every repositories listed
31 > in /etc/portage/repos.conf?
32 >
33 > 3. many repositories do not have an eclass folder, and miss many
34 > (optional) configuration files in the profiles folder (like
35 > arch.list, categories):
36 > - is such information implicitly inherited from the DEFAULT
37 > repository (even though
38 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf states that it
39 > is not)? the brother overlay
40 > (https://github.com/stefan-langenmaier/brother-overlay) does not
41 > specify any masters
42 > - when the eclass folder, profiles/arch.list and such are present,
43 > is the data from the DEFAULT repository still implicitly inherited?
44 > - when the eclass folder, profiles/arch.list and such are present,
45 > are they visible globally (i.e., a package from another repository
46 > can use a keyword of the arch.list and inherit from one of the
47 > eclass)?
48 >
49 > 4. is the "masters" attribute in /etc/portage/repos.conf make the
50 > repository inherit other data than the eclasses?
51 >
52 > 5. since every repos can have a profiles/categories file, is the
53 > file /etc/portage/categories obsolete (or should it be)?
56 > Best Regards,
57 > Michael Lienhardt
64 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>