From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] missing ide discs mapping is udev's fault?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:24:24
1 On 2/21/06, Christian Bricart <christian@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > So I have /dev/hda through /dev/hdl which are ok. But the mappings to
4 > /dev/discs/discX with X > 7 are missing.
5
6 <snip>
9 > I wanted to file a bug report, but I'm not certain if it's actually
10 > udev's fault.
11
12 Yes, it is udev's fault, but it is not a bug. The /dev/discs nodes
13 were a convention of devfs, and _never_ standard.
14
15 >From the ChangeLog (there are many other entries BTW):
16
17 *udev-064-r1 (31 Jul 2005)
18
19 31 Jul 2005; Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@g.o>
20 +files/udev.rules-064-r1, +udev-064-r1.ebuild:
21 Start moving to a sane /dev naming scheme.
22 This release removes the devfs names for the tty and consolde devices, and the
23 symlinks that were implementing the LSB standard names. We only implement the
24 LSB names now, which saves over 3Mb of RAM on /dev.
25
26 -Richard
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list