From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [git migration] The problem of ChangeLog generation
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:22:25
1 On 13-04-2010 18:12, Matti Bickel wrote:
2 > Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
3 >> From my PoV, editing ChangeLog is like editing history. Complete no-no.
4 >
5 > It is possible in all major SCMs for a reason. And I (as a user) would
6 > laugh at Changelog entries saying "um, I got that bug number wrong, it
7 > is really #1234". If I (as a developer) log such edits, I'm wasting my
8 > users time.
9 >
10 > So I'll continue to edit and commit Changelogs without additional notice.
11 >
12 Can't we just create a commit hook that appends the bug summary as a
13 comment if a #XXXXX bug string is present on the commit log?
14
15 Something like:
16 - -
17 Foobar commit
18
19 Description bl a bla bla
20
21 # bug 1234: Show summary for those that don't double check the bug
22 # number.
23 #
24 # Other git crap that usually appears at end of log
25 # ...
26 - -