From: Stephan Wentz <wentz@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] documentation-problem
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:12:24
1 hi folks!
2
3 yesterday is started installing gentoo on my laptop from scratch - everything
4 worked fine, and the documentation is EXCELLENT! great job ;-)
5 he found all modules, all pcmcia-network-cards (normal ethernet and a
6 wlan-card).
7 but i found 2 things that didn't work out with my installation:
8
9 1) 14.Final steps: kernel and system logger
10
11 after i succeded with the installation and booted the first time, i got this
12 error-msg:
13
14 "mount_devfs_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
15
16 looked through the forums and found the solution:
17 in the kernel-config i checked "/dev filesystem support", but i ALSO checked
18 "Mount on boot", after i unchecked it, the mount_devfs_fs-error disappeared.
19 maybe you should put this in the red warning-section?
20
21 2) Final network configuration
22
23 where it says
24 "If you have a PCMCIA card installed, have a quick look into
25 /etc/init.d/pcmcia to verify that things seem all right for your setup"
26
27 the problem is: there is no file /etc/init.d/pcmcia!
28 did i miss something? i followed the instructions step-by-step, don't think i
29 forgot something... or do i have to create that file by myself?
30
31 3) Final steps: configure GRUB
32
33 in code listing 40 the line splashimage points to
34 (hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
35
36 and above you state that in your example hda1 is the boot-partition.
37 shouldn't it mean (hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz then? without /boot ?
38 and what about the kernel-line? there's the same thing... or does it mount
39 /dev/hda3 (like state with the root-parameter in the kernel-line) as the
40 root-device? then it would be ok...
41
42 now, while booting i get this error:
43 "Warning: unable to open an initial console.
44 Kernel panic: No init found. Tyr passing init= option in kernel."
45
46 i think this is because of a wrong grub-configuration... maybe you can help me
47 out? i have my root partition on hda4, and the boot-partition on hda3... how
48 would grubs menu.lst look like? is the following right, if not, where is the
49 error? (note: i'm using the nt-bootloader right now, because of that i
50 installed grub into the boot-partition, not in the mbr...)
51
52 default 0
53 timeout 30
54 splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
55
56 title=My example Gentoo Linux
57 root (hd0,2)
58 kernel /bzImage root=/dev/hda3
59
60 maybe you can help me out... i'm very interested in gentoo - so i'd like to
61 start it ;-)
62
63 another question according to grub: like i said, i installed it into my
64 boot-partiton, what if i want to remove it from there and put it in the mbr?
65 just install it in the mbr? how to remove the version from the partition? or
66 is this done automatically?
67
68 so, enough for now... hope my remarks can help you make gentoo even better ;-)
69
70 stephan