From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let portage symlink latest version of installed docs
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 16:29:23
1 Have you submitted a bugzilla as a request or suggestion - that's the best way
2 to get it acted on .
3
4 On Saturday April 8 2006 11:48, Fabian Neumann wrote:
5 > Hi Gentoo devs,
6 >
7 > The Problem: I'd like to have bookmarks for my most used documentation
8 > in my browser. E.g., for the Python documentation this would be
9 > file:///usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2/html/index.html. But as the
10 > version number is included in the path, I have to update the bookmark
11 > every time portage installs a new version of Python.
12 >
13 > What I'd like portage do to is to create a symlink to the latest version
14 > of a package's documentation. Just omitting the version number would of
15 > course not work as slotted packages may have multiple versions of docs
16 > installed. The first format coming to my mind would be:
17 >
18 > /usr/share/doc/python-docs-latest -> /usr/share/doc/python-docs-2.4.2
19 >
20 > If that's impossible because of some Linux standards (I'm really not
21 > familiar with POSIX, LSB, File System Hierarchy or stuff like this) we
22 > could use a special directory for this, maybe /usr/share/doc/.latest or
23 > /usr/share/portage/latest-docs or something similar -- you get the point.
24 >
25 > We could of course make this optional with a USE flag. In face we have
26 > already the symlink flag that does basically the task for the kernel
27 > versions. I don't know if it'd be clever to use it or if we should
28 > consider introducing "symlink-docs" for this.
29 >
30 > I hope this informal proposal initializes a discussion and I would be
31 > very happy to see it in some standardized way in future *-doc-ebuilds.
32 >
33 > Thanks,
34 > Fabian.
38 Brett I. Holcomb