From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:14:38
1 On 10/11/2011 11:50 AM, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Today I have found that build dependencies are left in the system but
5 > won't be upgraded when running emerge -vauD1 world.
6 > This can be inconvenient since security issues fixed in those left over
7 > packages won't be applied properly.
8 > So, is there any reason for this behaviour?
9
10 1) It's a waste of time to build/update packages that won't be used for
11 anything. That's what --with-bdeps=y. If you plan to use these packages
12 for something, then you should add them to world or add --with-bdeps=y
13 to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS so that they'll update automatically.
14
15 2) Aside from being a waste of resources, if we enabled --with-bdeps=y
16 by default for update actions then to would cause unwanted results for
17 people who use binary packages and don't expect the build-time deps to
18 get pulled in.
19
20 > Shouldn't build dependencies
21 > either be cleaned with --depclean after building
22
23 This is another waste of resources, since you'll have to install them
24 again the next time that you need them. However, you are free to use
25 --with-bdeps=n with --depclean if it suits you. One size does not fit
26 all, so that's why we have options.
27
28 > or be upgraded to avoid
29 > possible issues?
30
31 Again, if you plan to use these packages for something, then you should
32 add them to world or add --with-bdeps=y to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS so that
33 they'll update automatically. Again, you've got choices and what suits
34 you doesn't necessarily suit everyone else.
35
36 Personally, I like to set EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps=y" because
37 like to know that all the build deps are at their latest versions in
38 case I decide to rebuild some random package.
39 --
40 Thanks,
41 Zac