From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Need design help/input for eclean-kernel
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:38:49
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 Back in 2011 I started a project called eclean-kernel. The idea was
4 pretty simple -- to have a tool that would clean the old kernels for
5 me since their install is not controlled by the package manager. This
6 little project of mine seems to have gained a lot of popularity.
7
8 Sadly, over time a lot of people had trouble with it. Aside to minor
9 Python problems, eclean-kernel proved too simple to handle multitude of
10 user systems with varying /boot layouts. In fact, even I don't use it
11 on all of my systems since it doesn't handle them properly.
12
13 After being buried in another set of bug reports, I'd like to
14 officially ask Gentoo developers and users for help. I think it's
15 impossible to solve most of the bugs reported so far in the current
16 program design. Therefore, I'd like to rewrite it in a more flexible
17 manner.
18
19 For this reason, I would like to ask you to provide me with
20 different /boot layouts you may have, had or seen. Basically, the idea
21 is to collect as many different layouts as necessary, and use that to
22 design eclean-kernel in a way making it possible to easily configure it
23 to handle proper variant -- or even possibly make it capable of
24 autoconfiguration.
25
26 So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
27 a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
28 as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
29 distinctive features and pitfalls.
30
31 Thanks in advance.
34 Best regards,