From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] about non-ebuild files in the tree (and verification thereof)
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 06:55:30
1 On 28-02-2018 22:08:54 +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 04:10:52PM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I'm working on a verification implementation of
6 > > https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0074.html and ran into the following
7 > > scenario that I don't know if it's right or wrong:
8 > ...
9 > > Does anybody know or have a pointer to what the policies on files in our
10 > > ebuild dirs actually is?
11 > PMS, 4.3 Package directories:
12 > A package directory may contain other files or directories, whose
13 > purpose is not covered by this specification.
14
15 Ah, forwards compatibility.
16
17 > GLEP74 itself makes no determination of files being permitted in a given
18 > directory.
19 >
20 > > Now in a rsync checkout of the Prefix tree, where my own implementation
21 > > also runs the fat manifest creation, this entry is not present, because
22 > > I always believed only metadata.xml, ChangeLog* and *.ebuild files were
23 > > allowed.
24 > I'd say your separate implementation is wrong in this case, but that
25 > file also should not permit at this time.
26
27 I might change it not to bother about what should be in/out, but just
28 assume it's right as-is. For now it is a nice headsup about something
29 being unexpected.
30
31 > > Now I'm confused as to whether this is the case or not, I can't find a
32 > > GLEP or anything, but repoman also is as happy as it can be on this odd
33 > > file (I thought it used to complain about stray/unadded files).
34 > I personally think repoman should complain about it because it's weird.
35
36 I'm sure this particular file was a mistake, that went unnoticed for a
37 very long time. I do feel this should one way or the other not be
38 allowed.
39
40 Thanks for your insights,
41 Fabian