From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resignation
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:34:46
1 On 2006.07.31 12:01, Giacomo Cariello wrote:
2 > Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > Sunrise attempts to provide the next part of the school system
4 > down. A school system should have a well defined syllabus, explicit
5 > educational targets and an objective evaluation system. If Gentoo is
6 > going to run a Gentoo School with courses for developers, that sounds
7 > cool (and may relieve some burden from the developers mentors).
8
9 Agreed.
10
11 > Probably its objectors just want the project to formalize its methods
12 > before official launch.
13
14 Possibly.
17 > In regard to the "rule of thumb" you suggest to verify average
18 > quality,
19 > I wouldn't consider a reliable way to assess quality. I suppose that
20 > part of responsibility of Gentoo towards their users consist in
21 > "using caution" in their choices. Caution suggest that you cannot
22 > suppose the long-term effects by measuring the current, limited,
23 > 150-ebuilds version of this project.
24
25 You can only examine now, what exists now. The long term effects can be
26 assessed by repeated examinations, much like holders of ISO 9000 (a
27 quality standard) undergo to retain their accreditation.
28 Going off on a wild tangent for a moment perhaps sunrise and other
29 overlays could be accredited by Gentoo using such a system of regular
30 and surprise checks.
31
32 > Also, it's better to debate this path now, rather
33 > than wait until we realize Gentoo cannot handle at least minimal
34 > safety of a 100000-ebuilds user-contributed overlay used by
35 > hundreds/thousands of people and throw it in the dustbin with a "we
36 > said that if it doesn't work, we kill it" quote.
37 This in not a realistic claim - look at the way the official portage
38 tree has grown with time and that changes made to cope with that
39 growth. Your statement implies that sunrise starts out badly, gets
40 worse but nobody notices for a long time. That's simply not realistic.
41 Sunrise will evolve - like any other OSS project.
42
43 I would expect sunrise to spawn both devs and ebuilds and to see the
44 more popular ebuilds moved into the official tree as the dev population
45 can cope. That's not much different from the present process, where
46 ebuilds are in b.g.o. However b.g.o doesn't interactively encourage
47 would be devs.
48
49 > It would be a lack of respect towards the efforts of users that
50 > contributed to it.
51 Yes it would and it won't happen.
54 > - Giacomo 'jwk' Cariello
57 > --