From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] List of rc5 problems and questions
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:16:23
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 02:56:18PM -0500, Bruce A. Locke wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello... The following is a list of complains/observations/nitpicks and
4 > questions I have compiled after spending a couple of hours with rc5.
5 > Please feel free to correct me and point me to the friendly manual if I
6 > misunderstand something :)
7
8 Thanks for your great bug report list. rc6 will be a bugfix-release only,
9 so we will be focusing on issues like this.
10
11 > 1. If you are in one runlevel (such as 3) and telinit into another runlevel
12 > (such as 4) the network devices are always restarted. If this happens (why
13 > is another matter) you need to kill dhcpcd or else your dhcp using interfaces
14 > will be down'd and won't be up'd again
15
16 The current incarnation of the initscripts works this way. In reality, neither
17 solution is great and the best solution is to go to a dependency-based system
18 like jinit or simpleinit, which we will be doing for 1.0.
19
20 > 2. Galeon premade package segfaults with Mozilla premade package
21 >
22 > 3. How do you set a locale? none is set by default.
23 >
24 > 4. The XMMS portage doesn't install xmms.xpm.
25
26 OK, we need to fix this/add to docs/fix this. I always use the default locale
27 so I forget how to set them, but if I remember correctly, it's a simple as setting
28 an environment variable.
29
30 > 5. The gnome menus are empty (though I don't have much installed). Mandrake
31 > and other distributions have a menu generation system, does emerge, etc have
32 > such a feature that is being used by gnome and kde related packages?
33
34 We don't have one yet, but agree that it's a good idea.
35
36 > 6. Gtkhtml and evolution portage problems:
37
38 I'd like someone who uses GNOME on a daily basis to look into this. I'm a KDE guy
39 so I can't test this out right now.
40
41 > 7. The output of df on my box:
42 >
43 > [root@kodiak evolution]$ df
44 > Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
45 > /dev/hda3 6297280 875276 5422004 14% /
46 > /dev 6297280 875276 5422004 14% /dev-state
47 > /dev/hda4 23317628 6505336 16812292 28% /home
48 >
49 > Erm... any way of hiding /dev-state?
50
51 Well, although this is a bit confusing, the /dev-state listing is technically correct.
52 A option to hide bind mounts may be a good thing to request from the GNU fileutils
53 people.
54
55 > 8. The devfs/swap issue mentioned before
56
57 Fixed on CVS.
58
59 > 9. Where is lsof? It should be installed as part of the core :)
60
61 I agree. For any developer interested in doing this, grab the dev-wiki task (
62 to be posted in ~5 minutes) which will contain download location as well. It should
63 be put in sys-apps; see the future wiki entry for more info.
64
65 > 10. Is there a utility that lets you search for which package would contain a
66 > certain file?
67
68 grep -r foo /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS
69
70 Pretty fast on Reiserfs.
71
72 > 11. I've seen mandrake and redhat add symlinks from /etc/init.d to
73 > /etc/rc.d/init.d... isn't this required by the filesystem standard or LSB?
74
75 LSB is more restrictive about initscripts and we'll try to make our revised
76 jinit-based system compliant. We are not as excited about LSB as we are about
77 FHS; you know they recommend the use of RPM packages, don't you? Either that
78 or some kind of "in-development" packaging format that is being developed in
79 secret. Doesn't sound like the FHS team trusts the hacker community, if you
80 ask me. Anyway, off topic.
81
82 > 12. gdm was defaulting sessions to windowmaker which wasn't installed
83 >
84 > 13. gnome-terminal spits out a message about "locale not supported by C
85 > library", then I see the window for a brief second, and then it dies
86
87 OK, and OK. We'll fix 'em :)
88
89 > 14. When doing "emerge rsync clean" it complains that clean doesn't exist or
90 > is an invalid command-line option (emerge help lists it as an option)
91
92 I need to fix this. The offical option will me "emerge --clean rsync" or
93 "emerge rsync --clean". I'll update the docs too.
94
95 > 15. The gnome 1.4 virtual package didn't seem to install nautilus
96 >
97 > 16. If you install a virtual package such as gnome 1.4, why aren't all the
98 > packages built as dependencies given their own entrys in the package
99 > database? (or am I mistaken?)
100
101 15: OK, 16: they are.
102
103 > 17. With xinetd merged in, there were two entries in /etc/init.d for it,
104 > xinetd and svc-xinetd... what is the point/difference?
105
106 One starts xinetd as a standalone daemon; the other starts xinetd as a
107 supervised process (high-availability stuff).
108
109 > 18. Would it be possible to get a ebuild for xemacs-gnome-gtk? :)
110
111 Yes; we'll even allow you to write one if you'd so desire :) Anyone else
112 like to do this?
115 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
116 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
117 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.