From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bug #565566: Why is it still not fixed?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 12:59:42
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >>
3 >> And currently the git history is still almost empty...
6 > If you want pre-migration history you need to fetch that separately.
7
8 How? Neither on gitweb.gentoo.org nor on github I found an obvious
9 repository with this data.
10
11 > It is about 1.7G.
12 > Considering that this represents a LOT more than 2-3 years of history
13
14 If the 1.7G are fully compressed history, this would confirm
15 my estimate rather precisely, if it represents (1700/120 - 1) ~ 13 years.
16
17 Gentoo exists since 2002, so it seems my estimate was very good.
18
19 > (including periods where the commit rate was higher than it is today)
20
21 One of my assumptions for the estimate was that this rate is
22 constant in the average. Also I am not sure whether you right
23 that this rate was really higher, previously: Nowadays, even a
24 rather trivial eclass-update is separated into several commits,
25 increasing the amount of data needed for storage.
26
27 > I think your estimates of where the migrated repo will be in 2-3 years
28 > is too high.
29
30 Note that I compared squashfs with a git user who does not even
31 care about git-internal recompression. Of course, you can decrease
32 the factor somewhat if e.g. your checked-out tree is still stored
33 on squashfs. This does not change the fact that the factor will
34 increase every year by about 1 (or probably more, because git
35 uses the uneffective gzip compression, only).